Mrs. Brenda Smith
My name is Brenda Smith, and I am the first grade teacher here at San Francisco de Asis Catholic School. I have been teaching since 1987 and have taught a variety of grade levels before finding my home with the amazing 6 and 7 year olds. I am so blessed at my place of work, my ministry, as each day is never the same as the next. My first graders are always teaching me to hold on to my youth and view the love of the Lord through first grade eyes as this is so pure and selfless. I love that my students are very interested in learning and get so excited about the “little things.” Who knew that putting glittery crayons in the class crayon box or bringing in twistable colored pencils would make it “the best day ever?” As their teacher, it is my job to teach them to become readers, writers, mathematicians, scientist, and sociologist, but as their religion teacher it is my job to lead them to God and help strengthen their lifelong friendship with Jesus.
1st Grade Highlights
- Daily Religion including a variety of prayer opportunities both in the individual classrooms as well as all school, interactive journaling, textbook based religion instruction, and weekly Mass.
- Superkids Reading Program (whole class instruction in language arts with the loveable Superkids)
- Daily 5 Learning Centers (small group instruction in guided reading, writing, and word work)
- Math in Focus (whole class instruction with some amazing Singapore math strategies)
- Guided Math/Math journals (small group instruction)
- Science Labs (physics, earth science, biology, and engineering)
- Nonfiction Reading( using Close strategies especially in the area of social studies)
- All school Halloween “Trunk or Treat”
- All School Christmas Musical
- Valentine’s Day Party
- Poet’s Tea
- Superkids’ Day
- End of the year picnic